Monday, April 6, 2009

MY LAST BLOG ENTRY!!!

As the title of the blog denotes this is my last blog entry. I have enjoyed writing my views on religion and the environment and reading everyone’s blogs as well. Thank you for taking the time to read my blogs and writing your comments in support or disagreement. Like Dr. Peck says heated discussion is healthy. I have struggled on what to write about in this concluding blog. I want to share my views on the class and our discussions in class and how it has made me a better person. I have enjoyed the episodes of Star Trekk and the Simpsons. As a quick side note I think we should end the semester by watching Ferngully the movie. Anyways, It has been interesting to listen to the different viewpoints of individuals in our class. I am glade that individuals spoke up about what they believe in and have passion for. I do not think that there is ever a clean cut answers to questions regarding the environment or religion. Studying the different religions has shown me that the environment is a part of all the different beliefs in the world. This tells me that the environment should be well taken care of if everyone practiced what they preached. To me sometimes it is the extreme religions that care most about nature and the environment. I do not think that it is the healthiest to be extreme but some time extreme situation require extreme measures of treatment. I try to reflect back to many lessons learned from all the different religions. Sometimes the primitive religions show a great appreciation for nature then do the more affluent religions. It might be because primitive religions were so infused with their surroundings that there is not difference. I feel that we have to make an effort to while primitive religions no effort is made because it is ingrained in the society. I am happy to see that the LDS community is really making an effort to step up our policies on the environment. I was listening to the news in my car and a report come on about our advances in the downtown salt lake construction and how we are implementing dramatic environmentally conscious practices. It saddens me to know that the world does not think that the LDS community is environmentally friendly. We should be the most environment conscious people because we know the truth about the future of the earth and its state in the eternities. I think that individuals can make differences and we should one person at a time try to change our bad habits or in better words make our weakness become strengths. Thanks again for the blogs and opinions. It has been great.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the first step towards changing something is recognizing that it needs to be changed. This class has certainly brought that awareness to the forefront of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowledge really is power, and the more any man knows about anything the more wisely he'll be able to make decisions. People just need to know about what is around them, it's not that they wouldn't care, it's just that most people don't know what to care about. We live in a world that's been privileged for so long that we don't know what it's like to not have all the things that we have. It's not something to condemn but something to acknowledge if we want people to be informed we must first realize where they're at and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the world as a whole, not just the LDS people, have been lacking in their ability to recognize what is really going on. There are small groups that have decided to do something about it and they target the church because of its inactiveness. They really could have targeted any large church so I wouldn't be worried because other religions probably feel targeted as well. We can only move forward the best way we know how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If people really did understand their religions and practice what they preach this world would be a much different place. However humans have faults and as such we find ourselves in this situation. But I think we need to have hope in humanity. there are many out there that are trying to do the right thing...the silent majority. lets not imagine or allow the outspoken few to represent us all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote a letter to the Daily Universe last week expressing similar feelings of sadness that most people don't view LDS as an environmentally aware religion. Unfortunately they didn't publish it. But that feeling what I will take away from this class. I hope that I can do my best to help that perception improve over time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is good to hear that SLC is making good choices with construction and environmentally friendly practices. I hope we can turn our weaknesses into strengths. Latter-Day Saints do have a big responsibility, and it's not just concerning missionary work. Perhaps we can learn from our Lamanite brethren and treat the earth like an eternal symbol of life and loving atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete