Monday, March 16, 2009

Lisa is all alone, again

During the Simpsons episode that we watched many things came to my mind. I have watched my fair share of Simpsons episodes and a common theme is that Lisa is usually the only one that ever cares about anything. She is constantly standing up for what she believes is right. Mostly because she is the only one that is educated enough to know about what is really going on in the world. Homer is the epitomy (sp?) of the uneducated population whose only concern is about instant gratification, and in the case of this episode, making a quick buck. Lisa constantly argues with facts and scientific data that are largely ignored by the people of Springfield because they don't understand it. Ignorance rarely acknowledges truth because the thought process of deciding what is right or wrong usually never occurs which breeds more ignorance.
Another point that I think the producers of this episode were also trying to show is that sometimes people get so excited about their viewpoints that they fail to see other possibilities. Lisa was so positive that what she had found was a fossil and was so sure that Homer was wrong that she failed to see the other possibilities. By opening up our viewpoints and trying to see what the other side sees we may find valid points to their arguments and maybe be able to apply some of their points into our own.
But I think that the main point of the episode is that after all is said and done it doesn't really matter who wins, it is the relationships that we build that matter. Time and time again Lisa rants and raves about this and about that in the Simpson episodes and is usually confronted with many who oppose her but at the end of the day both sides come to some agreement and compromise in order to keep intact the relationships that they have formed. Usually this occurs by the public obtaining more knowledge about the topic and acting accordingly.
Many of the episodes, at least from what I have seen, show that ignorance breeds ignorance, Homer - Bart, and that knowledge is power. They also show that an individual who portrays superior knowledge that flaunts it is also not helping the community. It is the careful balance of knowledge and using that knowledge for the better good that allows others to become better people. This is where our knowledge that we have acquired will do the most good. By understanding other viewpoints and incorporating truth many people will want to do better and start to care about things that may have not even been thought about it the past.

9 comments:

  1. I agree that balance must be struck. Prideful knowledge gets everybody nowhere just as fast as ignorance does, because in its pride it fails to realize that the group is important. What the world needs is humble knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can take a look at the life of Jesus Christ to show us the best way to make change. Christ was much more knowledgable then the people around him, however instead of flaunting it and beating people over the head with his message, He humbly went amoung the people and helped them and showed them the way. And look at what a powerful way he changed society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved that episode of The Simpsons. My favorite part was when Marge was talking to Lisa about believing in both science and a religion of some sorts. Lisa argued that Marge was too intelligent to believe in angels and things like that, but Marge countered saying that she hoped that Lisa's scientific knowledge didn't get in the way of her being able to believe in things that couldn't be proven. I think this was a key point, and it really struck me. I appreciated this blog because it caused me to ponder that more deeply. I never thought I would actually spend time pondering a simpson's episode, but apparently I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this blog and I like the comments that have been made. I think that we all agree that opinions don't need to be haughty or loud to be right. When you are right, there is no need for display and the humble, simple truth permeates through. I don't think we need to experience everything to find truth, but I do think that we can understand why we believe certian things through opposite experiences (not that I am advocating searching out sin here).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This episode of the Simpsons leads very nicely into our next text, The Two Cultures. There are many social commentaries on the relationship between science and religion, but I think that this Simpsons episode does a good job of presenting the dilemma. I tend to agree with the saying the when science and religion seem to conflict, it might be because science is too young to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I might be like Homer in that I could care less about what people think. This is bad characteristic. Instead of shooting down people's views, I should listen and then give my point of view in a respectful manner. I think you're right in saying that it's all about the relationships that we build in this whole process. Our beliefs about evolution will not determine our salvation, but the manner in which we treat people and the Lord's creation will be a part or our judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make a good point in your blog. There is something to be said about being too near or far sighted in our perceptions. An eternal perspective is always going to help us see the big picture. I enjoyed your blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that was a good episode. Anyway, all of what I wanted to say has already been said. I especially liked the last part of Ronburgundy's post. I think respect is very important, but is it really taught in our religion? Or only in the culture of our religion? I was just trying to think of scriptures that would deal with this, and all I could think of were stories and the fifth commandment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To be honest i have never been a big fan of the simpsons. I just never got into it as a kid. I did understand the message of the episode and believe it is relivent. I have enjoyed ready the comments. I also believe that being humble and intelligent will go alot further than arrogant and intelligent. Thanks again for the blog well written

    ReplyDelete